Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Honeymoon is over
I really shouldn't say that... but today was a bit harder with homeschooling. I read in a book (one I really liked) that you should only praise and make the learning experience GREAT! And that you should never use the words "Your not even trying!" However, when your son takes his pencil and scribbles all over his worksheet while glaring you down, isn't it safe to say he really isn't trying. I am trying not to get so overwhelmed if he doesn't catch on as quick as I think he should. Z was easy. He already had been practicing writing it. And my goal was to have him writing his name by the end of the month. So, today we did E. lowercase, mind you! e... e... e... I made worksheets of elephants trying to get to the nuts... and he stayed within the lines... but to actually write it was a challenge.
Dave and I had a long "discussion" last night on how we should teach him to make it. I learned in my handwritting class in college (yes, I took a class on how to write perfect manuscript, and cursive... its mandatory in the state of MO to get your degree!) The manuscript way is to make a C lift your pencil, and make the line that finishes your e. HOWEVER, I never learned it that way in school. And what if I send him to say, 4th grade, will they undo what I've taught and confuse him!? So we decided it would probably be cursive in4th grade so teach him to do one continuous stroke... so I teach... Straight line, up and over... I repeat this OVER AND OVER as I write it using his hand. he repeats back to me, STRAIGHT UP AND OVER! However, the "shape" on the paper was NOTHING! he wouldn't do the straight, and then makes a circle, or squiggle, or looks at me in a full fledged glare and scribbled on his paper!
So, I made him tough it out. I don't want him to get in his head that that behavior stops school... and we moved on as if he hadn't had done it.
However. After nap, he found an ink pen and made the most glorious e I have ever seen! Maybe he just had to sleep on it!
As I am showing him that the Z sound and the E sound come together to form his name (for those of you who don't know, his name is ZECH, rhymes with DECK, not ZACK rhyming with SACK!) so we say his name slowly to hear the zzzz eeeee K sound. He says, "Okay, can I go watch Wipeout?" TOTALLY done! UGH! he's just 3, right? School isn't that important! its just the schedule we are getting used to... right? RIGHT!? He's SO smart (I am bias, I know) so I know he can learn this. I guess the honeymoon's over!

1 comment:

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Colossians 3:17

If your ganna do something, DO IT RIGHT! Glorify HIM!