Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Life

A couple of weeks ago my husband and I hosted a small group. We called it young marriages. We are starting to notice a trend among those that get married. Its HARD! And there is little training on the subject. You go through 8+ years to operate on the heart, and nothing (maybe 6 wks premaritial counseling) to be close to someone's heart. And as Dave has been finishing up his Bachelors on the topic (Family Studies) he and I noticed that some people may need help. I don' t know how it came easy for us. I don't know if its our personalities, or that God would someday put marriages on our heart and knew that we could only minster if we had a healthy one. So... as I was saying, a couple of weeks ago we held our first young marriages (those marriages under 10 years old) group. We challenged them to go see Fireproof and then to romance their spouses. With the preparation of this challenge Dave and I began to pray for marriages. And ours got even better. We just happened to have more patience, talk more, notice one another more. So we went to see the movie (amazing ministry tool!) and loved it. We spent a week doing nice things for one another, and putting each other first. Its so fun when you bring it to a new level. We also realized how hard that was, and how impractical it was. Getting Dave chocolate becuase he loves it is romantic, but not substantial. It won't save a marriage. Dave doing the dishes for me makes me feel great, but it doesn't build our marriage closer (although I do LOVE his help!) So we picked up the book "The Love Dare" done in the movie, and decided that it was a better tool than trying to come up with everyday "things" This book is so real.

Day one-- Stay patient, say nothing negative about your spouse or to your spouse. It was easy, we didn't have to choose to say nothing... and it already seems to be making us more aware.

I am not saying we never argue or get mad, or even act a bit selfish in our marriage, but I am saying that even great marriages can get better! and I have always stood tall next to my husband who works with me to have a good marriage!I am blessed and I pray God uses that in us to bless others. It will be 8 years in 3 months. And thats just a drop in the bucket! I want it to be great for the next 80!

So, if you need a boost, no matter if you are living in marital bliss or struggling... get the book

1 comment:

JCsings4Him said...

8 years. It just doesn't seem that long ago. And that's a good thing; because you know that time flies when you're having fun. And I know that, even with the eccentricities you both bring to the marriage table, you are having fun.

And it gets even funner!! :~)

PTL.

Colossians 3:17

If your ganna do something, DO IT RIGHT! Glorify HIM!