Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My Element

I've been wanting to write this blog since Saturday night. So, its a bit late... I just don't always get the time to get on here! Someday, I will get a desk and get the computer upstairs!

Anyway, Dave's boss had a BBQ at her house Saturday night. I was really nervous. I wanted to look nice for the party, and make a good impression on the boss, and make Dave feel proud. Its been a long time since I've met new people and felt so nervous. We talked about how no one would be real Christians (by real, I mean practicing-church-going- daily-devotion-christians). We discussed that there would be alcohol and I warned Dave about my fear of drunk people. He assured me that his boss would most likely not have drunken parties and I was fine.
We get there, and she shows us to the kitchen so we can get some food and drink. The cooler, she says, has beer and wine coolers "and maybe some soda". The BIG gaterade container had blah blah (I can't remember) "Rum and some other alcohol" in it and the pitcher had Sangria ( don't know how to spell it, but I knew it was alcoholic). So I open the cooler and find a Diet Caffine Free Mountain Dew (seriously, whats the point?) and an Orange Shasta, the only two sodas... So thats what we drank.
We then sat and listened and had conversations with the higher-ups in Dave's company... Hearing the F word more times than my fingers can count, along with every other cuss word I can think of.
It was so odd for me. My ears cringe each time I hear it. I am not used to that kind of language in my world where "suck" and "crap" are majorly BAD 4 letter words! I was just so out of my element. That made me so terribly uncomfortable. I later told Dave how it made me feel. Not that I don't think his co-workers (bosses) are halairious... they would have been just as funny minus the nasty words. I'm just not used to it. If I am not surrounded by Christains in a church setting, or in friends' homes, I am surrounded with Mommies. Mommies who make a conscious effort to curb their language. I mean, really, I don't even hear the bad 4 letter words (Crap and Suck!)
Not that I don't want to EVER be around those not like me. I see the need for that kind of fellowship. I just don't like the language. Funny thing, I could handle the amount of alcohol more than I could handle the amount of the F-bomb!
I guess I just like my little element. I will step out only for a bit.

1 comment:

JCsings4Him said...

Crap (well, POOP!!!)!!! It can totally suck (well...BITE!!!)when you are uncomfortable around people you feel you need to impress.

Sorry..I just needed to get that out.

You are a beautiful, strong woman of God, and I know they loved you. In Babylon, it's all about impressing the next person you encounter. Obviously, these particular people didn't care about impressing YOU. Sad, but, true. Their stupidity...no matter the amount, alcohol will do that to a person. Make them stupid. And irresponsible with how they speak to one aother and around someone new. Unfortunately, that demon brings out the "real" person.

And...you looked beautiful, by-the-way. I really loved your new outfit! I can't believe I forgot to tell you that...I must have been pooped!! :~)

Colossians 3:17

If your ganna do something, DO IT RIGHT! Glorify HIM!