Monday, October 29, 2007

Crazier than a Pet Coon

Vera Carmichael. Although there was no mention of her on Google, she is forever in my mind leaving wonderful memories. Vera AKA Grandma Carmichael passed away this morning at 3am. She outlived her beloved by 12 years. I have so many wonderful memories of her. We used to go to her house for a surprise visit. And even though we'd call just moments before showing up, somehow she would have a feast ready for us for dinner. She'd make sure there were enough chairs for everyone, and if there weren't we, kids were delighted to dine on the kitchen floor. Then Grandma would move from her ordinary post at the head of the table and she'd fix herself upon a barstool as she watched and I am sure enjoyed everyone eating. I always wondered if she ate. But one night (it was one of those special occasions when we stayed the night) I got out of her bed to find her sitting yet again at her ordinary post at the head of the table watching her little black and white tv with rabbit ears, eating her PB&J.
It was a very fun time when we stayed the night there. I don't know why I got to sleep in her room, but I always enjoyed her silly stories and the first time I heard a Whippoorwill. At least that's how I remember. She'd mimic the birds call almost identical to the bird. I'd giggle and she'd tell me to stay quiet as she quietly giggled, also.
I've been sharing stories all day with my friends, family, and husband. Stories of our Christmas Eves when she'd put up her ever so shiny Christmas tree and crouch at the base handing out at least 50 or so gifts. All by name, all personally picked out by her specifically for that one child. Even if we all got dolls, she would make sure they were different colors. She'd hand them out to the youngest first, then delight in watching us open them. It was always the most precious doll, not because it was any different than any other doll we had back home, but because she convinced us that she had put careful thought into those gifts... those many many gifts!
I shared the story of the day we visited shortly after my mother's birthday. Grandma looked over at the calendar then surprisingly declared that my mom had just had her birthday. She probably didn't know that without looking at the calendar, but my goodness, she had so many to remember. However, it did not stop her from jumping up (from her ordinary post at the head of the table ) and running into her always stocked "Walmart" room. She returned with a gift just for mom. A toenail polish dryer. It was hilariously great!
I told about her large stash of National Enquirer. Did she really believe that woman claiming to have birthed 12 alien babies at once?
I laughed at the memory of our family trick or treating at her house one Halloween. Mom tried to trick her, trying to see if she could recognize her in spite of her Elvira costume. It didn't take long before Grandma yells out RONDA ELAINE!!!
There are so many stories I could share about this woman, but my favorite that I will never allow myself to forget was when Grandpa was dieing in the hospital. He turned to her and asked "Vera, I was a good husband, wasn't I?" Grandma didn't need to answer, she leaned over him and laid a wonderfully romantic LONG kiss on him. It was quite a long kiss... one that answered the question precisely. Although I was saddened by the news of her passing, I couldn't help but close my eyes and picture her meeting Jesus, and reuniting with Grandpa, where in my romantic imagination, she grabbed him kissed with longing passionate kiss of all kisses!
Jesus, welcome her, dance with her, enjoy her!

3 comments:

adnore said...

This woman was truly amazing! She had another famous bird call she could perfectly mimic... Woody Wood Pecker! It always made me laugh! My favorite memories also include spending the night. She always had these glamourous, sexy pajamas...hundreds of them to choose from. I loved making the choice and I still to this day have a large collection of pretty nighties. I will always remember her as the queen of all strange sayings. She had many that were innocent, I am sure, but I won't repeat them here (her slang was abundant).She was a strong woman, she quit smoking and drinking in the same day and had done both for 40 years. She liked her tall-boy Buds, and her Virginia Slims. She did not follow The Lord, but I believe she got to know Him as she grew older. I noticed her become a new creature, kinder and more gentle. She confessed that she had made her peace with God and she had a very peaceful death.I am sure I will see her again. The morning of her death, I got into my car and was headed to work. I turned on the radio and the first song to come on was Mark Harris' "I wish you were here." It talks about being free to run with the angles and walk streets of gold. It talks about Jesus reaching out His hands to welcome you home. I could just picture her there. I love my Grandmother. She was quite a character... you should be able to google Vera Carmichael.

theciskekidsrblessings said...

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2007/Oct/20071030Obit002.asp

There is her obituary. SO many descendants!!!

JCsings4Him said...

What a beautiful tribute! I know you will miss her, but your memories will certainly override your grief with much needed laughter and tears! She obviously loved her family...and the feeling was most decidely mutual!!

Joann :~)

Colossians 3:17

If your ganna do something, DO IT RIGHT! Glorify HIM!